Just like exercise is important for your body, so is exercise for your BRAIN! Brain exercises can help increase your brain’s cognitive reserve. Here are some ideas to keep it sharp.
• Test your recall. Make a list of grocery items, things to do, or anything else you can think of. Then memorize it. Later in the day, test yourself to see how many items you can recall. Make items on the list as challenging as possible for the greatest mental stimulation.
• Do math in your head. Figure out problems without using pencil, paper, or a calculator. Add difficulty by trying to walk at the same time...you'll get some healthy motion in too!
• Take a cooking class. Learn to cook a new, healthy dish. Cooking uses a number of senses: smell, touch, sight, and taste, which all involve using different parts of the brain.
• Create word pictures. Visualize the spelling of a word in your head, then try to think of other words that begin (or end) with the same two letters.
• Refine your hand-eye abilities. Take up a new hobby that involves fine-motor skills, such as knitting, drawing, painting, or doing a puzzle.
These are just a few ways to keep your brain working and refreshed. Healthy habits are rooted in the way you think. Strengthening your mental health goes a long way towards making your entire health journey a success!